Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Toy box of a different stripe and a wagon ramble

We have a three bedroom house. A while back we thought it would be a good idea to put both of our boys in one room and use the other room for other things. It's not a big house and there's always some sort of compromise happening relative to space and places to put our stuff. As it turns out, the extra room just became a 10' x 13' junk drawer. We emptied the room out, and gave it a coat of paint, some new outlets, switch and lighting fixture. The closet is still full of crap belonging to me and the wife. The boys, and the oldest in particular, have a fondness for guns. He usually picks something from Nerf's latest offering to spend his allowance on. While moving all his stuff from one room to the next it became clear we needed something a bit better than a big plastic bin for the toy arsenal. So I headed off to the home center with my "new" station wagon and tried to shoehorn some 4'x4' plywood and pegboard in there. I looked like Lucy Ricardo. It simply won't fit. An 05 Subaru Legacy wagon is not your father's station wagon. I did notice that Glen Campbell's Gene Winfield customized 1974 Cadillac Eldorado STATION WAGON is for sale. It's not far from me, either. I'd be willing to bet my plywood would  have fit in there.
That car is pretty darn cool. Imagine all the amplifiers and Blue-Ribbon winning  beer you could haul in that sweet ass ride. If gas was less than a buck a gallon I'd risk sleeping on the couch for a while to be the owner of this wonderful piece of custom Americana for the low-low price of $14,500. No I wouldn't, but a guy can dream right? I talked to a guy at a car show once with about a '65 Chevy wagon and he claimed a 4'x8' sheet would fit with no problem.
Back to the plywood on the Subaru. I thought I was going to have to use a lifeline, as it were, but being the resourceful lad that I am I got it tied down on the roof rack. It only took about a half-hour and it didn't fall off on the way home. I figured I could knock this box project out in whatever free time I can muster in a weekend. Two weeks later...it's as done as it's gonna get. Except for a handle. The Boy said it needs a handle and he's right so I'll get a handle. I'm no cabinet maker but I did make a cabinet. He's pretty excited about it and I'm pretty glad there is not a giant pile of brightly colored plastic and foam in the middle of his room. And that my friends, is one reason why my Sportster is not even close to done. But that Sportster won't put a smile on my kid's face the same way that Nerf cabinet did.

No comments: